• Jonas tells himself several times that things can’t change between him and his best friend, Asher. Do you think they can? Do you think they will?
• Why does Jonas find the final rule in his instructions, “You may lie,” so unsettling?
JONAS RECEIVER OF MEMORY
1. Go immediately at the end of school hours each day to the Annex entrance behind the House of the Old and present yourself to the attendant.
2. Go immediately to your dwelling at the conclusion of Training Hours each day.
3. From this moment you are exempted from rules governing rudeness. You may ask any question of any citizen and you will receive answers.
4. Do not discuss your training with any other member of the community, including parents and Elders.
5. From this moment you are prohibited from dream-telling.
6. Except for illness or injury unrelated to your training, do not apply for any medication.
7.You are not permitted to apply for release.
8. You may lie.
Lowry, Lois (2011-10-25). The Giver (illustrated; gift edition) (The Giver Trilogy Book 1) (p. 68). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition.